Monday, February 21, 2011

Too tired/sick to think of a clever headline

On Friday in Sri Lanka I had a sore throat.  It was worse on Saturday but I wasn't sure if it was pollution or a head cold.  By Sunday I was feeling awful and decided, "Getting sick in a developing country is risky.  I had better go to a doctor."  The wait at the hospital was 3 hours but I was rather cheerful waiting  because I was surrounded by people with real problems.  I felt guilty for even being in the emergency room with a cold... and I said that when I finally got in to the doctor.

It's a little embarrassing to tell a doctor who was clearly from SE Asia that, "I think it's just a head cold but since I got it in Sri Lanka I thought I should have it checked out."  Fortunately, she didn't seem offended by my reasoning.  She checked my lungs and throat confirmed it was just a head cold, but if certain symptoms develop come back immediately.

Good, so I didn't contract malaria, TB or worse...

Today I awoke just feeling like crap.  I had 4 classes starting at 8AM.  I checked e-mail before heading into work and discovered that my classrooms had been changed to accommodate all of the extra students.

Long story short:  My new classrooms don't have boards I can write on.

This semester I will be teaching 6 classes, 4 of which I cannot write on the board.

I CANNOT WRITE ON THE BOARD.  For me, this is a killer.  Whereas many of my colleagues teach purely from powerpoint and never write on the board I write pages and pages for each class.

This is going to force me to fundamentally change the way I teach.  Maybe I'll be up for the challenge but feeling the way I do right now?  I want to take an Ambien and go to bed early.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGewz1KrYIg&feature=player_embedded


    libyas Slaughters..pliz Spread it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just get one of those whiteboards on wheels.

    Or go old school with a projector. (you can even use different colored pens!)

    Get better.

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete