Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Anniversaries

In a ten day period we are in the middle of right now there are a couple of anniversaries of things I follow closely:
Apple:
  • The Mac introduced on January 24, 1984.  (So what you say - I have a computer using Windows?  Before the Mac there were no graphics.  The screen you are looking at is a descendant of that first Mac.)
  • The iPad introduced on January 27, 2010.  Wall Street's reaction was to yawn.  Apple shares were down 10% after the announcement.  I agreed; the iPad seemed underwhelming in so many ways.  A year later is has become the fastest adopted product on the planet. (The stock has almost doubled since then.)
Space:
  • Space Shuttle Challenger blew up on January 28, 1986.  It's hard to believe it's been 25 years.  I was a junior in HS and my mother called me at school to let me know.
  • Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated on reentry on February 1, 2003.  I had taken a group of Sigma Nu's to a regional training conference in Peoria and was so stunned it was difficult to concentrate.
Weather:
  • The longest/coldest prolonged weather in Eastern Iowa - February 2-4, 1996.  If memory serves the highs were -15 and the lows were -26, -26, -21 (the lows are verifiable because they were record lows).  It was an interesting time to be working in weather.

Which brings me to what could be a new record/anniversary:  The National Weather Service predicts SE Iowa could receive the highest snowfall over a two-three day period in history.  

My sympathies go out to all Iowans shoveling out for the next few days.  If it is any consolation, the weather has been very blustery with boring sand storms for the past couple of days.  It's also begun to warm up.  Tonight I ran the air conditioner for the first time in two months.  

I'm not mocking you, really!  In a few weeks the snow in Iowa will have melted and the temperatures here will be in the 90's.  In another few weeks they'll be in the 100's+ for six months straight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment