Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ferrari World

The UAE wants to become a destination for tourists.  Unfortunately, it is insanely hot 8 months of the year and uncomfortably hot for another 2.  Hence, when it was decided to build a theme park it was decided to build it indoors.  
Ferrari World is the world's largest indoor theme park.  That's much more impressive than it sounds.  Two rollercoasters (that start indoors before moving outside) and a bunch of kiddie rides does make a theme park in my book.

The only reason to pay the $60 entry fee is to ride Formula Rossa - the world's fastest roller coaster.

This is the car that went right before us.  Those riding in the front car must wear a mask.  The ride goes from 0 to 150 MPH in 5 seconds.

On our first ride we got the front seats.  WE GOT THE FRONT SEATS!  It was not as exciting as skydiving but still pretty damned cool.

Later we rode again.  We couldn't get the front so I suggested we take the very back seat.  Not much fun.  We got whipped around and I exited the ride with a headache.  As a roller coaster afficiando I know there is often a big difference between the front and back (and for some wooden roller coasters the back is better).  In this case, however, the front is fan-fucking-tastic while the back is something I'd rather not do again.

It wasn't until I got home that I realized I had inadvertently taken a picture during the day and night from almost the same vantage point.  It gives a good sense of how different it feels at night.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I totally agree on the very front vs. the very back on a roller coaster! I love thrill rides and the pic of how lit up it is at night is amazing.
    I am living vicariously through you! (Did you ever think I'd say that!)

    Karey

    ReplyDelete