Friday, February 18, 2011

Wow, Mommy, I *can* travel alone

I am sooo reluctant to write this, but on day 2 of my 3 day solo trip I have to say it has been a blast.

I paused for at least a minute before deciding not to erase that last line. I don't believe in tempting the gods on things like, "Wow, that was fantastic!" just before getting robbed and losing my passport.

Today I got to feed an elephant bananas. She wrapped her trunk around my arm that was one part scary and three parts cool. Later I fed monkeys that were more than happy to have me husk the fruit for them.

The downside? Eight hours of harrowing traffic. I had a driver I trusted completely yet there were many times I had to simply shut my eyes and do the Serenity Prayer.

5 comments:

  1. Correction: Mommy Dearest! (I don't need wire coat hangers thrown at me the next time I come home. For those in the dark, look up the movie... it is the favorite mother-son movie for me and my Mommy Dearest.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got rid of all the wire coat hangers, my Sonny Dearest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen any areas of Sri Lanka that were affected by the tsunami?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was on the other side of the island. The east side was hit by the tsunami. From what I've read it is more poor and agricultural than the west side I was on (which seemed poor enough). - Steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Joan Crawford did a bit more than throw them.
    "I buy you ALL these beautiful clothes, and all I ask is NO WIRE HANGERS!"

    Karey

    ReplyDelete