Thursday, February 17, 2011

Greetings from Sri Lanka

I made it here without any major hassles. Today I walked/toured Colombo, the capitol and largest city. I took a long walk along the Indian Ocean. Too long, actually - I got burned. The cricket world cup is just starting here and that has led to touristy things being full and higher prices.

Tomorrow I am renting a driver for the day to take me up into the mountains and to an elephant orphanage.

It is interesting to be literally on the other side of the world - this place is 12 time zone away from central standard time. The weather is pretty muggy. It's like Iowa in July: highs in the mid-80's and humid.

I'm writing this from my iPhone. I saw some Internet cafes today but they - along with many stores - were closed for some moon god holiday. (Seriously.)

So checking the net is great on the iPhone but writing blog posts is not easy... Speaking of searching the net I know I am of cologne so I almost bought Calvin Klein Eternity but the price of $70 seemed a bit high. In less than a minute I was able to check Amazon and see that the price should be $38. Handy.

So that's it for now. The creepiest person I've met so far is a guy from Minnesota. He's near me right now trying make some Chinese guy believe he has important connections in the US. Really? We're staying in a $30 hotel. I don't think many important Americans stay here. Unfortunately I was wearing an Iowa shirt and he has tried to strike up a conversation. I want to say, "Dude, you are loud AND creepy. Thanks for letting everyone know you're American."

1 comment:

  1. Another iPhone drawback: it is virtually impossible to edit. Sorry for the typos.

    ReplyDelete