Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Day!

May 1, 1991: The day I called Flunk Day.  In the morning the air was crisp and the sun was shining.  Where it went from there I can't remember... I have successfully blocked all memories after 8AM.

May 1, 2011:  My boss called to ask if there was anything the college could do to keep me.  Specifically, would a raise in my salary be enough?  I said I didn't know because I hadn't thought about it.

*****
In my life I have been a lifeguard, sold electronics, managed weather offices, taught, worked in a bookstore and detassled corn.  I enjoyed all but the last job.  Each job was taken as matter of economic necessity:  I had little choice but take the job.  I'm just lucky I liked them.

It is a completely new experience to have a job I love and consider moving to a different job.  To have my current employer offer higher pay to keep me?  Wow, I feel all warm and tingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment