Monday, May 2, 2011

Bin Laden

There are some days you just feel like the world is a better place. Today is certainly one of those days.

I asked two of my Arab friends to read the Arab news websites for the next couple of days. I want to know how this plays in the Arabic press.  The English language newspapers here cover events quite a bit differently.

I was appalled that a former student who friended me on FB wrote, "RIP bin Laden :((((("  I engaged him and learned that he considers bin Laden a hero.  I unfriended him and wrote on my wall:
Please unfriend me if you think bin Laden was a good person.
Reading "RIP bin Laden :(" on a status update made me want to throw up.  Seriously, unfriend me if you feel this way because we have nothing in common.
Yesterday I wrote about the importance of May 1 to me, but I think the world events are maybe a tad bit more important:
May 1, 1945:  Hitler dead
May 1, 2003:  Bush declares "Mission Accomplished" on an aircraft carrier
May 1, 2011:  Obama declares Osama dead
Not that's mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment