Wednesday, May 4, 2011

No new sales tax in Cedar Rapids

In 2008 my home city was devastated in a flood.  The rebuilding has been slow - painfully slow.  After the flood the city elected a Republican mayor who had previously been speaker of the Iowa statehouse.  As a legislator he was very conservative.

As mayor he's come out in support of unions and proposed the largest tax increase in the history of the city.  His proposed 1 cent sales tax to be in place for 20 years was voted on yesterday.  It lost by a couple of hundred votes out of over 30,000 cast.

I'm glad I was not able to vote.  Never have I been more conflicted on an issue.  There was much to like and dislike about the proposal and I have no idea how I would have voted if I lived in CR.  What makes me angry is that my city's leaders are constantly throwing out "all or nothing" plans.  There are reasonable plans that I think could have passed that would not have required a TWENTY YEAR tax hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment