Tuesday, May 10, 2011

And a great day ends with...

... my preferred answer would be getting lucky by winning the lottery or just plain getting lucky.

But it's me so neither will happen.  Instead, it was a 90 minute discussion on FB with a guy I deleted because of his pro-bin Laden FB messages.  He's friends with one of the guys who I had deleted before and the brother of the guy who purposefully friended me with the intention of posting a pro-bin Laden picture/message.  

At the end we agreed to meet for coffee.  At least three times I made the point, "bin Laden wanted to see all Americans dead.  I am American.  He'd be happy to see me dead.  Bush did not hate all Arabs/Muslims.  He had no desire to see you dead."  Basically, the guy disagreed with me on both points.  He thinks bin Laden would have no problem with me AND he thinks Bush would be happy to see him dead.  

I think I am the perfect American for this meeting.  I could not stand Bush; I think he's the worst president in at least 100 years.  (Coolidge would be happy to read that.)  But he never he never waged war against Islam or Arabs.  

There's a part of me - a large part of me - that doesn't want to know.  I'd be happy to stick my fingers in my ears and say, "Laa-laa-laa."  Talk to 80% 99% of my western ex-pat colleagues and that is the response you'd get.  

No comments:

Post a Comment