Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Why don't you get out before you make a bigger fool of yourself?"

A conservative friend who has commented on here as "Samuel Alito" is also a huge Newt Gingrich fan.  Right after announcing his candidacy for the presidency Newt criticized a plan by Republican econ-guru Paul Ryan to privatize Medicare. The right is not happy and when he came to Iowa to campaign a guy let him know it:
IOWAN: What you just did to Paul Ryan is unforgivable.
GINGRICH: I didn't do anything to Paul Ryan.
IOWAN: Yes, you did. You undercut him.... you're an embarrassment to our party.
GINGRICH: I'm sorry you feel that way.
IOWAN: Why don't you get out before you make a bigger fool of yourself?
As the first state Iowa has taken down many a candidate.  This is perhaps the first time a *single* Iowan has taken down a candidate.  Given the news that Newt's wife held a charge account with liabilities of $250,000 to $500,000 for jewelry I think we can stick a fork in this.  Newt's candidacy is done.

I'm so sorry Matthew Samuel Alito.  I don't think I wanted Newt in this race as much as you did but, believe me, I wanted him in this race.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't happy about his comments either. If I were John Kerry, I would probably say something like "I supported Newt before I didn't."

    However, Newt's candidacy is far from done. Although this was an important event it was not a defining event. Newt has built up a massive fundraising list over the last several years which will propell him for some time.

    And I'm not sure who I'm supporting yet. Another Georgia boy, Herman Cain, is looking better to me every day. (Sick to your stomach yet Steve??)

    Alito

    ReplyDelete