Saturday, May 7, 2011

TEDx Al Ain

TED started in the US.  The theme is "Ideas worth sharing."  Ezra Klein - whose blog I link on the right - posts many TED talks.  I find all of them fascinating.  The goal:  A person has 15 minutes to present an idea. I have watched literally 100+ of the talks from American TED events.

TED has now spread around the world.  Again, the concept:  Bring in fascinating people and give them 15 minutes to talk.  I was excited to learn a TED event was coming to Al Ain.
Today's TED event had 10 speakers.  Thanks to very deep pocketed sponsors the event was well advertised, the signage was amazing, the auditorium of the event was posh.

The hors devours, however, were indicative of the event:  They looked amazing. I can't believe I didn't take pictures.  I can't remember any event in my life where the appetizers looked better.  The taste?  Incredibly and sadly, bland.

Most of the ten speakers came on and rambled.  Ideas worth sharing?  Two basically said, "Family is important."  No shit.  The idea of being succinct and pushing one main idea escaped them.  I did learn some interesting information about the city and country's history, but it was a serious disappointment.  After the event I was charitable.  I said, "It is a first event... it will get better..."

A friend replied, "Perhaps not.  This was bad enough it may be a first and last."

No comments:

Post a Comment