Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Winning pictures

Last week a student left my class early because she found out she $13k in a photography contest.  It turns out that she won the $13k for an essay she wrote.  Her winning set of photos won $1300.  
The winning photo set was 4 pictures taken from this vantage point.  It was titled, "Competition to the top."

 I found a couple of her other pictures more compelling.  The picture above and below are excellent.  I have certainly seen worse conditions in Nepal but I can't bring myself to take the picture.  I feel like I am somehow exploiting their condition... yet, really, the story needs to be told.
Dumpster diving in the UAE.
Two animals cuddling wouldn't normally be a hit with me.  There's something about their cuddling in such a poor environment that makes it more interesting.

*****
I spent four hours tonight with the Emirati who goes to Iowa State.  I learned a lot including that there are 26 Emiratis at Iowa State from Al Ain.  I wouldn't have expected 26 Emiratis total in the state of Iowa... let alone 26 at Iowa State from just this city.

2 comments:

  1. She displays a wonderful sensitivity that I really appreciate seeing in a UAEU student.

    --Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning pictures. Obviously we haven't seen her competition, but if it was even close to these it was a great competition. Are the Al-Ain students at ISU studying Engineering (primarily) or a variety of subjects?

    ReplyDelete