Saturday, May 21, 2011

Why teach summer school?

As the past two weeks have been insanely hot - 110 - I think I am writing this more for me than anyone else. Quite a while ago (when the weather was cooler) I volunteered for summer school.  Now that walking outside is like walking into a giant sauna I am questioning the wisdom of the idea.  In the end it comes down to two reasons:  Money and laziness.

Money
Two years ago they gave me exactly $5000 to teach summer school.  It should have been more like $7000.  I have no idea how much I'll make this summer but even at $5000 I'm OK.  That's $5-7000 on top of my regular pay meaning I can apply it directly to student loans, mortgage payments, etc.

It's not just the money I earn in summer school, it's the money I save by not being in the US.  Last summer I re-learned that living in the US is expensive.  I didn't do anything extravagant last summer but I still seemed to find a way to burn through money.  This summer I will be here with no friends and nothing to do.  I won't be spending much money.

Laziness
I am teaching summer school as an excuse to be lazy.  A conversation I had with a friend explains this:
Me:  Two years ago I would get up, go teach for four hours, buy a watermelon on the way home, eat half of it, take a long nap, eat the other half watch some TV and go to bed.
Friend:  Can't you do that back in the US?
Me:  No!  The guilt of "I should be doing something more" is too great.  Teaching here in the summer means I have absolutely no responsibilities beyond breathing and showing up to class.  Teaching summer school is better than vacation because I can feel good about working and, well, do very little work.
Would an extra six weeks in the US be nice?  Sure, but a month is long enough.    

No comments:

Post a Comment