Sunday, April 24, 2011

Turkey

At Christmas I made my first turkey.  I separated the one and dark meat portions and cooked the dark meat longer at a lower temperature.  (From what I read, getting the dark meat done enough is part of what causes white meat to be so dry.)  I also added carrots, celery, garlic, onions, bacon, and apples. The result was the best turkey I've ever had.  I'm not bragging; it was that good!

Since  I'm on the low carb diet I decided to try to replicate my first-time success:
I didn't have any bacon this time but turkey came out fantastic!  Even though it tastes good I know why most people don't cook turkeys this way:  Cutting through the bones to separate the meat is gruesome.  I was in enough of a pre-party panic at Christmas that I must have blocked that out.  This time I heard and felt every bone snap, crackle and pop.  It was enough to make it hard to eat the bird;  after sitting in the fridge for a week I threw half of it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment