Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Not feeling like Goofy today

Long story short:  This semester all of my classes are female.  Today I found one class cheating in a stupid way.  My short fuse was lit and I blew up at them, "I expect this when I teach the guys.  I give you more freedom because my female classes don't do this!  Fine.  If you act like the guys and cheat like the guys I will treat you like the guys from now on."  (I thought of typing this in all caps to demonstrate my shouting.)

My rant was quite a bit longer than that but you get the idea.  This is the first time I've had a blow up on the female campus.  On the male campus it is at least once per semester and I use much more colorful language.

The funny thing is that as I was winding down I noticed nearly every one of my good students had a smile on her face.  It was almost as if, "Thank you for finally waking up to the cheaters we sit next to..."  They knew I wasn't talking to them so my blow up didn't really bother them.

When I get angry I know how to make a room quiet; you could have heard a pin drop - and this is a carpeted room, no less.

2 comments:

  1. What is "cheating in a stupid way"?

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. On the first draft of this post I explained it and in explaining it I realized it is one of those, "you had to be there" moments. Suffice to say it was the equivalent of cheating on attendance (in a system where they go to school for free but the one thing the U asks is that they go to class). In the US I don't care if students attend, but since it is free I have no problem enforcing the rule here.

    ReplyDelete