Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Not the lesson I was going for

About once a week I stop by a restaurant "Al Noor Grilled & Restaurant." (I love the name.)  The food is good and they have the best moutabal.

(The moutabal is in the lower right side of the picture.)

Almost two years ago I there with a group and the waiter brought us a fish that none of us had ordered.  The fish was $11 and we sent it back.  A few minutes later the guy appeared at our table looking like death.  He got out his wallet and handed me Dh 40 ($11) and said, "Please just say you ordered it."

Mistakes happen and this mistake would cost the guy several days' wages.  I felt really bad for him.  So I left him a Dh 50 tip... The look of relief on his face was unbelievable... think of Oprah's fans who win a car.

Since then I always get this guy as my waiter.  (I swear he never gets a day off.)  Over the years he has given great service.  He always brings me extra carrots and cucumbers and the moutabal is delivered shortly after I arrive.  I appreciate good service so I don't think twice about tipping Dh 10-15 ($2.70 - $4) on a meal that is about $10.

And now to tonight...

I went with a friend and we sat for at least ten minutes.  I thought we were invisible because other people came and were waited on.  Finally my normal waiter arrived and all was well.

As he delivered the bill he said, "Please, sir, no extra.  Just pay the bill."

"What?  You are telling me not leave a tip?" I replied with disbelief.

Fortunately, my friend speaks Arabic and he was able to explain:  We weren't invisible when we arrived.  The others saw us and they don't like me because I give good tips to my normal waiter.  Apparently they make his life hell for getting good tips!

Customer service is terrible in this country.  When I find a waiter who actually gives good customer service I'm excited.  I hoped the lesson would be:  Good customer service = Good tip.

But that's obviously not the lesson here.  Here it is more like, "No good deed goes unpunished."

******
Normally writing this blog is my therapy; it gives me a way to process my world.  Not tonight. At the restaurant I was so baffled by the events that I had no reaction.  Now I am angry and left wondering what, if anything, I can do.  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. You'll just need to find a sneakier way to tip him, that's all... Like - when you arrive - put the money in a napkin or something. I know it kind of sucks, but you do realize that Europeans don't usually tip, either. However, Europeans in the table-waiting industry usually get a better salary to start with than Americans. It's a cultural difference, that's for sure...

    -Michele (Lambing) Adkins

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the comments but my goal is to get the OTHER guys to realize that maybe, just maybe, good customer service is a good idea.

    So, in two years here I found one good waiter. Yippee! I'm looking to start a fire. How can I send a signal to the other rude waiters to be more like the guy who was my waiter?

    ReplyDelete