Thursday, November 11, 2010

Twenty years ago today...

... I spoke to the largest crowd I've ever addressed.  I was a senior in college and asked to give the Veteran's Day speech at my high school.  Benton Community brings all of the elementary, middle school and high school students together for the event.  Combined with the community people there were about 1500 in attendance.

This speech - given during Operation Desert Shield - was difficult, though certainly not the toughest speech I've ever given.  Trying to create a speech that was pro-military while not sounding like a cheerleader for Bush Sr. was tough, but that wasn't the hardest part.

So what made the speech so difficult to deliver?  Knowing my kindergarten teacher was in the audience.  Mrs. Daniels was an amazingly kind woman... I was lucky to have had the model kindergarten teacher.  While I was giving the speech, however, I couldn't help but think, "The woman who wiped snot from your nose and had to tie your shoe laces because you didn't learn that skill until first grade is sitting to your left... don't look over there... don't look over there."

The speech was a success.  How do I know?  Before the speech my former teachers stayed away and gazed at me warily.  Had I screwed the pooch they'd have gone back to the teachers' lounge and talked about how they all knew it would happen.  Instead, many rushed up to congratulate me afterwards.

In the group was Mrs. Daniels.  She was as nice as ever - although noticeably shorter than I remember her from kindergarten.  I couldn't help but check to see if my shoes were tied.

6 comments:

  1. I agree totally with your comments about Mrs. Daniels. She is the nicest person you'll ever know. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know, but what is the "toughest speech (you've) ever given"? The link seems to be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Daniels is one of a kind. If every child in America had her as their kindergarden teacher, many of our nations problems would disappear!

    Trav

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one who would rather have a root canal without Novocaine than give a speech, I remember when you did this and wished that I could have been there to see it. I am sure it was awesome.

    I had never realized that Mrs. Daniels made it through all of the Kranz kids! She was a good start to a school career!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attended today's program at Benton for what I thought was the first time. As the veterans stood at attention when the band played the theme song from the branch they served, my eyes were filled with tears. And when the 600 plus elementary students started singing, I lost it again. It's very, very wonderful program - that I can't believe I don't remember ever attending when in high school...

    Cristy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cristy - They started it when we were in HS. I know they had it in '85 and '86 (my Jr. & Sr. year) but it may been a year before that. So that means you were there for at least three of them!

    And to everyone else, yes, BC is a very lucky school to have had Mrs. Daniels as a teacher. I missed saying that to Mrs. Mulherin (my fifth grade teacher). I went to her funeral and wrote a note to her children who were very grateful. Still, I wish I had had the chance to tell her while she was alive. Does anyone know how to contact Delores Daniels?

    ReplyDelete