Monday, November 8, 2010

Spring 2011

Next semester I have no 8AM classes (which is good).  I also have no male classes... for which I'm ambivalent.  Guys are much more difficult, and as I wrote yesterday, at least once per semester they send me over the top.  Still, as a male I will never be able to get a discussion going like I can with the guys.

In the summer of 2009 I taught only women and it was easy... very easy... but boring.

******
Tomorrow I will be in Dubai all day.  I'm leaving before 6AM to take a friend to the airport and then I will spend the rest of the day trying to find my students' internship sites.  I wish I could explain why it is so difficult to navigate Dubai.  First, major arteries have names but many streets do not.  Maps are outdated because the roads change quickly.  The construction just adds to the confusion.  From 8AM to 4PM I have to try to make it to five places.  

Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me tomorrow; It'll probably be past midnight before I make it back...

Update:  I spent two hours trying to map out my itinerary for tomorrow.  I was pretty successful in that I can find a reasonable route to get from one place to another, but finding something on a map and finding it in reality are two different things while traveling in Dubai.

And one is simply impossible.  I am supposed to find a bank in the Al Barsha district.  Neither the U or their website has any details.  That's like saying, find XX bank on the NE side of Cedar Rapids.  You could drive around for days and still not find it...

No comments:

Post a Comment