Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Most interesting comment from today's training session

Today went well.  I am still not ready for tomorrow, but it will be the same group (and they're a good group) so I'm not worried.

During a break a guy asked if I'd be doing a session on stress.  The answer is that I have no idea... at the moment I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

This is going to sound more negative than how it came it out.  He very politely said, "You have it lucky.  You get to teach and have your students adore you.  If something goes wrong, big deal, right?  I work in IT.  When something goes wrong people are yelling us... many, many people.  We are on-call 24 hours a day and are expected to fix any problem immediately, even when the problem is beyond our control."

I replied, "Good point.  I do appreciate my job."  I thought (but didn't say), "I also get paid less than almost all of my friends from college."

Teaching something I enjoy at the college level is a very good gig.  I need to remember that more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment