Tuesday, November 30, 2010

True Blue Iowan

I was shocked at how much this picture affected me when I put it on the blog.  From a photographic point of view it is not as good as the other farm posts.

But as the kid who grew up at this place it took my breath away.  First, there's the few remaining rows or popcorn to be seen in the left.  To my generation of Kranz the legacy of Dad's popcorn is something we all carry with pride.

To the left of the grain bin is what we call the "cob house" because in my father's time this the place where corn cobs were kept to heat the house in winter.  Knowing I grew up in a house with central heating while Dad grew up in a place with cob house and a fireplace?  Wow, oh, wow.

In the center and right are two building we used as hog houses.  Before the era of mega-pork-farming it was common for farmers like us to have a couple hundred of hogs.  The pigs certainly didn't have a great life but when I see the pics of today's corporate hog farming I get sick... and wish I didn't love the taste of bacon as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment