Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The best paid week of my life

The week starts on Sunday here.  I did training on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  My Wednesday classes were canceled because the students are traveling home for National Day on Thursday.

In other words my work week was only three days... the same three days I did training.

Combine the training and my normal pay and I made $2500 this week.  And it was all in 3 days!  While I'm sitting here feeling good about myself my friend Rahul is probably thinking, "Umm, are you really bragging about making that much?  I've made that much responding to a text over lunch..."

True.  (If anything, it's probably an understatement for Rahul.)  But for a pedestrian teacher like me, we don't get these moments often (or ever).  $2500 for a three day work week?  Let's join hands and sing "kum-by-yah"!

*****
So what's the buzz-kill?  If you know me, there has to be something that made this week suck.  Today... the last day of my phenomenally well-paid week... I had a call asking why I hadn't done such-and-such in my visits with interns.  I had good reasons but rather than listen this was a call to say, "I don't care, get it done."  I didn't even have the chance to say, "And you don't think I'm trying?" before I heard the click on the other end.

After working for the ultimate micro-manager I appreciate working for a hands-off boss.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not in any serious trouble, but, wow, I did my best and have an e-mail trail and travel guide to prove I did my best but my boss doesn't care.  I failed to get something done that was out of my control and I got yelled at.

Yeah, not so fun.  If history proves anything, the next time I see him he'll be all warm and smiles.  "It's all taken care of?  Good."

*I* will be the one carrying a grudge.

OK, let me go back to my happy place... best paid week of life... and it was only 3 days!  Yippee!

2 comments:

  1. Life is too short to concentrate on the negative. Congrats on your massive earnings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $2500 for 3 days sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete