Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The bad

Not sure where to start.  Most of the results were pre-ordained so there were very few surprises in the House or Senate.  All that means is that I have had plenty of time to get used to the Republicans winning the House and gaining 7-8 seats in the Senate.

The "bad" is marijuana losing in California and the 21 ordinance winning in Iowa City.  Both measures seem like a step backwards in trying to have sane substance abuse laws.

The "bad" is that Sarah Palin is looking like a nominee-in-waiting for the Republicans.  That's good for my party but certainly bad for the country.

Bad would also include Russ Feingold losing.  After Paul Wellstone's death, Feingold was the moral conscience of my party.  I don't always agree with him (like his no vote on financial regulation reform) but he was certainly right on his no vote on the Patriot Act and the Iraq war.

I guess Branstad winning is a bad but I don't hate Branstad and I didn't love Culver so I can't say I'm losing sleep over this one.  Actually, I think if Branstad had been governor for the past four years Iowa would have a higher gas tax and the roads would be much better.

I can't see major upsets in the Iowa Senate so I think Democrats have retained it.  Why is this so important?  They can be the firewall from having gay marriage come up for a vote.

Which brings me to...

No comments:

Post a Comment