Thursday, November 4, 2010

Flying first class

In my first year I had a student who drew pictures in class rather then take notes.  The pictures were his way of studying.  I've kept in touch with him because he's one of the most creative students I've ever had.

As I got to know him I found out he's from a rich & powerful family.  We met for coffee today (in a small mall owned by his father).*  We discussed his summer trip to Europe with his family.  They flew Emirates Airline first class to Germany.  He said, "There are seven in my family and Emirates first class has 8 suites so my father purchased the 8th seat.."  The reason? To protect his wife and daughters.  

Tonight I checked the the Emirates website to see the price of first class round trip tickets.  Each ticket costs $6,338.  Buying 8 tickets is just over $50,000.  

And that's just the price of the tickets to Germany... The month traveling around Europe was on top of that... and trust me, they didn't stay at the Budget Inn...

*I paid for the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment