Monday, November 8, 2010

Behold the power of low self-esteem

A former student asked me a question via FB and added a line about how he, along with everyone else, loves me.  I replied that I gave a midterm to my current classes and the scores weren't that good.  In this culture love = A, not "did I learn something in the class?"

He replied, "Seriously, your reputation is very good among students that it makes me sometimes jealous of you .. and you deserve it."

I appreciate the comment.  Before coming here I couldn't fathom anyone, anywhere being jealous of me.  Since I've come to see the laborers working in horrible conditions for $200/month I realize that, yeah, they might be jealous of me.

As a guy who is broke, single (dateless for 20 years) and balding?  Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine anyone being jealous of me.

2 comments:

  1. Queue Sesame Street music....

    Waaaa...waaaaa...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!

    OK...that was mean. But I betcha smiled a bit!

    Trav

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you. I have low self-esteem on everything BUT my ability to speak in public. As to speaking in public I don't know where I got it from - surely not my father but probably not even my mother - but I am very comfortable teaching.

    I also know that Trav's right for mocking me. Somewhere close to 4 billion people on this planet would LOVE to have my problems. (I hold out the possibility that 2 billion have it better than me.)

    ReplyDelete