Thursday, December 9, 2010

"You're better than that."

Awhile back I spent 12 hours reading all the blogs I could find attached to Cedar Rapids.  Some of the more humorous blogs were written by angst-ridden teenagers who felt a friend had betrayed them and they had to tell the world via a blog.  I am pretty sure if I had started writing a blog when I was 16 it would have been full of entries like that.

But I'm not 16, I'm 41 42. (I had to think for a minute.)

I have written many posts about my friend below.  She has a personality that is quite remarkable in many ways.  In the past I have decided to save the post and wait until the next day to publish.  The next day I'd re-read the post and decide not to publish.  Some of the stories were really good.  In my 40-something years I've never met a person with her combination of generosity, neediness and ability to alienate.  I could easily make 10-20% of this blog about her; she's that interesting.

But I won't.

Why?  First, I don't want this blog to become a bitch session where I seek to settle scores.  Second, I don't want any of my friends to be concerned that a fight with me will turn into a blog post.

And most importantly, it's a lesson I learned in sixth grade long ago.  (I was taught the lesson in sixth grade but it didn't sink in until at least a decade later.)

There was a guy in my class named Mike.  He was bright but very socially awkward.  He didn't have many friends, but hey, neither did I so we'd often talk.  One day he really pissed me off about something I can't remember now.  I took to mocking him.  I mimicked his mannerism of pulling his t-shirt up over his nose.  I think I may have made fun of his clothes (remarkable coming from me, the kid who two years earlier wore green jeans and almost always had K-Mart sneakers.)

The ability to make caustic, demeaning comments is a trait inherent to my people and I can play the game with the best of them.  The next day I usually feel sick about it.  Self-loathing is another trait of my clan.

Anyhow, I was in the middle of ripping into Mike when my teacher called me into the hallway.  Mr. Leib was a fantastic teacher of life.  He was pretty much worshiped in my elementary.  Fearing authority I was almost in tears as I walked out.  "Am I in trouble???"

In the hall I quickly launched into a defense of why I was making fun of Mike.  Mr. Leib interrupted, "Stop.  You're better than that."  I continued defending my actions.  He put his hand on my shoulder and repeated, "You're better than that."

*****
I won't promise to not write about Gwenn because she really is fascinating.  I will try to make it as an "observation" and not a "judgement."  Am I concerned that she may find what I write?  Nah.  She's way too self-absorbed* busy with important matters to ever read this blog.

*Sometimes it is so hard not to let my bitchy side show.  I know I'll feel guilty about this line tomorrow...  Or maybe not; it is a pretty accurate observation!

Somewhere, Mr. Leib is shaking his head.

1 comment:

  1. Amen brother! I do the same damn thing, but it is usually posted and then pulled down shortly there after.
    Mine are usually about my in-laws and I usually get in trouble with Frank after one of them read it and cry to Frank about it. Still it is kinda worth it. There is just something cleansing about airing out another persons bullshit online.

    Karey

    ReplyDelete