Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve

First, I apologize that the pics are so bad... they're from the iPhone... I went to a party of 15 or so people at a friend's house.

This was a New Year's Eve of firsts:  a Scottish guy opened the entertainment with Scottish limerick that was incredibly long and funny.  I only note the "long" because he performed from memory which absolutely astounded the audience.  He also brought haggis:
In case you've never heard of it, haggis is sheep's lung and heart minced with onions and spices.

YUM, YUM!  I am sooo disappointed they didn't open this!

The second performance was the host performing an aria:
Her vocal range was amazing.  After her performance I wanted to ask the other guys present, "So did you feel your testicles recoil when she hit the high notes?"  I was pretty sure I could sing soprano.

A Romanian couple sang the Romanian version of the birth of Jesus... similar to our "O Little Town of Bethlehem."  While I didn't understand any of the words they had nice voices.  All of these performances were in a living room with about 10 - 15 guests.  While the couple was singing a guy got a phone call... AND HE TOOK IT!  The rest of us were so appalled he was shushed and all but run out of the room.

The rest of the evening was Rogers & Hammerstein and Steven Sondheim musical numbers.  Most were familiar but few - if any of us - knew the words.

At midnight we tooted horns and the crowd locked arms and sang Aud Lang Syne.

So, it was my first Scottish limerick, my first aria performed live, my first Romanian Christmas song and thankfully, I have yet to try haggis.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Steve! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun! Hope you restrained yourself from breaking out in song...

    You won't be missing Iowa today - wicked cold came in yesterday - it was an adventure going out on New Year's Eve with blowing snow making it difficult to see where we were going. Happy 1/1/11!

    ReplyDelete