Thursday, December 2, 2010

Which country am I in?

Today is National Day which celebrates the 39th anniversary of the country.  I planned to be in the capitol tonight to watch fireworks.  Last year it took 2 1/2 hours just to get out of downtown after they were over.  I'm not sure they were even doing fireworks this year so I decided to stay home and sleep.  It's been an exhausting two weeks and sleeping the day away was just what I needed.

Early this evening I walked to the nearby mini-mall where they had games for kids.  They played Kool & the Gang's "Celebrate Good Times" for musical chairs.  (That song came out when I was in elementary and I vividly remember it as THE song for the roller rinks...)  After the musical chairs they did the chicken dance.

I appreciate that American culture has so permeated the world that for this country's National Day they are playing Kool & the Gang and the chicken dance... but, really?  Aren't there better parts of American culture that could be adopted?

No comments:

Post a Comment