Friday, December 3, 2010

Kansas City = Middle East (in the summer)

Qatar beat the US to host the World Cup soccer championship in 2022.

This part of the world loves soccer, even if their national teams aren't so good.  I would be very happy for a middle eastern country winning the right to host the games if the games could be played in January.

Playing the games in June where daily highs are 110-120 with lows 90+ in a place with high humidity?  Yeah, that's just insane.  Qatar plans to build the world's largest air conditioned stadium - able to hold 86,000.  I haven't read what they plan to do at the other 11 stadiums where matches will be played.

The politically correct police are already out and accusing anyone of questioning the wisdom of choosing Qatar of anti-Arabism or being anti-Islam.  I couldn't work where I am working if I held either view, yet I think picking Qatar is crazy unless they change the dates of the games.

My favorite quote as to why Qatar is no worse pick than the US:
"As for Qatar's heat... Kansas City is no picnic in the summer either."
I have been in the middle east and in Kansas City in the summer.  To equate the two is beyond moronic.  I wish the guy who wrote this blog would come over here and take this job.

Update:  Nate Silver (of the 538 blog I have linked to the right) finds the Qatar pick equally dubious.

No comments:

Post a Comment