Wednesday, December 8, 2010

With friends like these...

I am very grateful that I have a fantastic, eclectic group of friends in the US and here.  Having said that here's two experiences with the same friend in the past week.

We share the same maid.  Our maid is good but is certainly better early in the day so Gwenn created this contorted story that made absolutely no sense as to why the maid had to clean her place first.

No problem, I didn't really care.  On a bad day the maid is 50x better than me so no big deal.  The maid went to her place and then came to mine and she went overboard:  In addition to cleaning she rearranged my cupboards!

So it's fine that Gwenn manipulated that she got to go first because there was no loss for me.

Fast forward to tonight...

Yesterday I called McGyvor's brother (McGyvor is back in Bangladesh with his new wife and child... damn those family values...) to come tonight.  I have several projects, like getting lanterns hung, hanging stuff, etc.  He was supposed to be here at 6.  At 7 he still wasn't here (unlike him) and I was about to call.  Before I could I received a call from Gwenn.  A couple of hours earlier I had told her that McGyver's bro was coming to my place so she called and asked him to stop her place first.  That's why he was late coming to me.

What a cheap ass punk move.  Gwenn kept saying, "Please don't be mad at me.  Tell me you are not mad at me."  The best I could utter is, "I hope he can get all of my work done tonight."  Not surprisingly, he couldn't.

Gwenn, realizing that what she did was pretty damned selfish, followed up by stopping by my place.  She was shocked, shocked! that it hadn't all been finished.  I said, "It was late, he said he'd come back tomorrow."

Gwenn is like the scorpion the tortoise's back going across the river.  Before the journey he reasons with tortoise, "I won't sting you.  If I do and you die I will die, too."  So the tortoise agrees to take him across the river.  Half way across the scorpion stings the tortoise who asked, "why did you do that?"

"I don't know," said the scorpion.  "I guess it is just who I am."

Gwenn has no evil intent to screw her friends, it's just what comes naturally.   And I am wondering how my friends would react in a similar situation.

4 comments:

  1. Well, that depends. If she brought chocolate like the stuff you show below, I'd probably forgive pretty much anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...not to be too critical here, but a tortoise is a land dwelling critter. I think you mean turtle.

    :)

    Your pet loving friend,

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone as selfish and inconsiderate as Gwenn, is NOT a friend by any stretch of the definition (or imagination).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would have pissed me the hell off too. I would have called her out in not as nice of a way and I would get your maid back on the am or hire your own with the understanding of her not cleaning Gwens' EVER.

    Karey

    ReplyDelete