Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Weekend remainders - The Grinch edition

In these short stories I seem much more crabby than I feel...

A 56 year-old former rape victim with a pace-maker-like device could not go through traditional security and refused to be patted down around her breasts by a female TSA employee.  She was arrested.  I know we're supposed to feel incredible sympathy for her.  I don't.  My answer to her:  You know the rules and you chose to fly.  Next time take the bus.

Good teachers are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.  $320,000 for a good kindergarten teacher! I wish my friends on the left would stop opposing measures to identify good/bad teaching.  It does beg the question, is it better to fire or retrain bad teachers?  I say fire/reassign.  You can teach a bad teacher new tricks methods, a teaching ability is inherent, like athletic ability.  As much as I would like to be a good runner I don't have the right genes.  Likewise, many in teaching need to find a different profession.

Early in his career a locksmith was bad at his job.  It took him a long time to open doors and he often broke the locks.  His customers loved his effort and tipped him well.  He has since become an expert and can open a lock in seconds.  Now his customers see how little effort it is for him and grumble about the price and rarely tip.

This fall I had a locksmith get my car open and started.  I was amazed at his speed and did tip well because he both impressed and scared me.

I still like Mike:
Mike Huckabee defended Michelle Obama against Sarah Palin's attacks.  Obama is supporting measures to fight obesity.  Huckabee - formerly overweight and now a marathon runner - understands the problem and won't use the issue for political purposes like Palin.

Enough of the bah-humbug...

Which of the world's economies is going to take off next year?  A man who has accurately called many of the previous trends thinks it will be the US.  Really.  I hope he's right but I am skeptical.  Why?  Most of all, it's the debt headache that America has that will take years to work out.  Meanwhile, a prominent economist makes a point I've made before:  Raise taxes on the rich and spend it on infrastructure.

And finally, Barney Frank explains the radical homosexual agenda in less than a minute:

No comments:

Post a Comment