Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Not so screwed

This morning I went to the police station with the goal of obtaining a letter OK'ing someone to break into my car.  The officer took care of that and asked if I had anyone lined up to open the car and make new keys.  "No," I said, "Nissan refused to help me."

"You don't want the dealership to help you, anyway!"  he replied.  "They will charge thousands of dirhams.  There are plenty of shops in Sanaya who can do it for you.  Would you like me to call someone?"

He placed a call and asked if I'd pay 400 dirhams ($110).  He thought the price was a bit high but I said, "Sure!"  I waited at the police station for the guy to arrive and take him across town to where my car had been parked for six days.  While I was waiting they brought me tea.

I'm telling 'ya, cops are very different here than in the US!  

 I didn't have a chance to take a picture of him breaking into my car because it took five seconds.  Because of the car's electronic security he couldn't simply create a mold and make a key.  He disassembled the steering wheel and started the car without using any key.

(There's something about how fast he could break in and start my car that was reassuring and scary at the same time.)

At the shop he asked if I wanted spare key.  He said the price would be 200 Dirhams ($55).  I know I was supposed to haggle the price down but I was so excited to have all of this done for $165 that I said, "OK."

There's an American born every minute.

He apparently felt bad enough for overcharging me that he threw in a Nissan key chain.

The lessons I learned today:  1.  Workers for big companies (like Nissan) have no incentive to provide customer service.  Blowing me off yesterday was one less problem the guy had to deal with.  2. The police at the police station were extraordinarily helpful.  An Egyptian commented, "They were extra nice to you because you're American.  Try being Egyptian and see how much help you get."  3. I will always and forever suck at bargaining.

******
After spending several hours outside today I have to say I'm not as acclimated to this weather as I previously believed.  105 is bloody hot.

1 comment: