Sunday, September 26, 2010

Weather


Iowa is looking to have an above normal month for temps in October.  The outlook for October - December is also above normal.  Congratulations!

A colleague here has a house in southern Illinois.  He asked me last week, "How are you dealing with the drought?"

I laughed and then coughed.  "Umm, Iowa had a very wet summer... almost twice the normal rainfall.  Being a weather geek I was following the weather in your area and I know you got almost nothing.  I'm sorry to hear it."

Unrelated:  I wonder if I've become acclimated to the heat here.  It's been 105+ most every day (without humidity) and it's not bothered me at all.  I even joined friends one evening to sit in a patio bar and didn't break a sweat.

Every couple of days the temps are dropping.  Later this week the high will only be 102 and the low -- get this! -- will be 79!  Woo-hoo!

So what am I woo-hooing about?  The temperature in this city has not fallen below 80 degrees since June 2.  Think about that.  Above 80 degrees all the time for almost 120 days.  Yep, that's my home.

Want an even bigger shocker?*  It's been over 100 every single day since May 8.  That puts us at 141 days straight over 100.

* I swear sometimes I feel like an infomercial pitch-man when I write this blog.  I should have written, "But wait, there's more!"  If I could take rejection better I think being a salesman would have been my calling.

Teaching is the next closest thing I could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment