Monday, September 20, 2010

Sunrise over the farm

Early morning and sunset are when the farm looks the best. I'm not an early morning person at the best of times. With the insane insomnia I had the last month I was in Iowa it's safe to say it was painful to get up to take these pics.

In early September the grass is still a luscious green, the beans have only begun to turn color and the corn is dead. Farmers wait for it dry out. In fact, they usually wait for the beans to die and combine them first. Corn takes quite a while to dry out.

Appearing in the distance is a neighbors silo rising above his farmstead. The silos used to hold silage which was fed to cows year round. They've all but disappeared from the landscape. I'm not sure why but I'm sure someone who reads this blog will be able to explain.

In the foreground is the popcorn I spent the last week picking. The rest is all field corn. This is a picture you may need to click on to get the full effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment