Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mixed return

My pre-flight panic was for nothing. Not only did I make the flight but my luggage made it as well. A completely event free trip. Ann & Mike, on the other hand, had less fun - delayed/missed flights 3 of 4 suitcases not making it.

With the amount of sleep I've had I'm down to minimal brain cells to still walk upright. So I'll try to summarize the good and bad:
Good:
  • A change in schedule where I have one less section, still have no class before 12:30, have two preps instead of one and only have to go on the women's campus twice per week. Two preps is good because saying the same thing six times is a killer.
  • I locked myself out of my apartment. That's good news because I was able to climb a rickety ladder and break in. I've been too scared to do it in the past and now I know I can do it. (That's a real positive for a guy who is constantly locking himself out.)
  • I came back to a myriad of problems: 3 of the 6 room air conditioners are not working. My internet is down. My car has a flat and dead, dead battery. This falls in the good news category because I have people here who came to help within hours.
The bad:
  • On the flight to London I had a guy sitting next to me who was really really sick. Sneezing and hacking up the entire way. My arm was sprayed more than once. The plane was 100% full or I would have requested a change. My sore throat started 12 hours later. That seems like a short incubation time but then again, I swam in his germs for a seven hour flight.
  • The air conditioners are totally screwed. One looks like it exploded. While McGyvor could fix it, this is one I'm saving for the university. As cheap as McGyvor is, this is gonna be expensive.
  • I have no water pressure. Taking a shower took 20 minutes and I'll bet I didn't use more than two gallons.
  • Coke fridge is not cooling stuff. Time for another freon fill. Am I killing the ozone by using a leaking fridge? I may not want to hear the answer for that.
  • The internet problem is not likely to be fixed anytime soon. Fortunately, I can use a weak signal from my neighbor as long as I sit right next to our shared wall.
  • My IPhone has no phone capabilities in this country. AT&T loads software on the US IPhones that "lock" it to AT&T. No other company in the world does this. Thank you, AT&T. There is a fix - called "jail-breaking." I've been told I'll have to go to Abu Dhabi for it.

Anyhow, I am totally fried. The flights were good but I didn't sleep on them. After three hours of sleep I got up to drive to Dubai to pick up a friend. (I had to drive her car...)

OK, I knew this would become one of my meandering posts. Bottom line: I'm back. Not all is well, but I feel more in control and able to fix things here than I felt back in the US where I couldn't find anyone to fix my dryer for a reasonable price in the three months I was back.

With that run-on sentence I'll call it a night.

3 comments:

  1. Very glad to hear that you made it back safely. Now I hope you will be able to catch up on the sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, wish you had put out an SOS about your dryer. I have a great handyman who, I think, charges very reasonable rates. Sadly, I was not able to talk him into moving to AZ!!! He initially did appliance repairs for my mom and dad, and I recommend him highly. I am guessing he is in his 60s, very blue collar, nice guy.

    I don't expect you will remember, but his name is Doug Dighton and his phone is 364-3252. He works during the day and does repairs after he gets off work....but he is reliable and does great work. Give me a shout out if you need help in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I see what happened to Annie and Mike now. It's easier to understand on your blog. Thank you for all of your help with Dan. My semester will be less lonely.

    ReplyDelete