Tuesday, December 21, 2010

$11 million dollar tree

Imagine I bought a Christmas tree for $40.  My wife thinks putting her $2000 engagement ring on it would make it look great!  (Remember, we're in the land of make-believe.)  What you say is the value of the tree?

My response:  I'm married?  How the hell did that happen... er, I mean, it is a $40 tree with an expensive piece of jewelry on it.

Emirates Palace (which is a hotel, not a palace) has a Christmas tree with $11 million in gold, diamonds and sapphires hanging on its branches.  After Christmas the jewels will not be thrown away.

There are many things in this country that are legitimate targets for humor, but the fact someone decided to put tons of jewelry on a tree doesn't strike me as a big deal.  If they do it next year would people say, "Another $11 million tree?  They've spent $22 million on Christmas trees???"

Of course, they won't do it next year.  Thanks to the bad publicity they clearly regret ever doing it.

I simply don't understand why it is a big deal, but I hope to make it to Abu Dhabi to see this in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment