Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Arab Saif action figure

A student took this while I was teaching and posted it on FB.  I've been told "Saif" is Steve in Arabic so this is the Saif action figure.

******
Many here greet each other with a nose rub.  Since I was in the full garb they thought they'd do it for me.  It's something I've seen hundreds of times over the past two years but I didn't realize that in addition to the rubbing noses they make a "schmooch" kissing sound.  One guy was literally a centimeter from my lips.  

Wow.  For a country that is really homophobic it seemed pretty gay.

3 comments:

  1. How do I pronounce "Saif"? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saif is pronounced "safe." Which doesn't sound like a terribly bad name after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello
    as i found at Wikipedia..the meaning of steve is(wreath, crown, honour, reward))..

    Saif in Arabic means(Sword)..

    By the way..you look handsome..kandora befit you well

    ReplyDelete