Friday, September 25, 2009

I'm ready to go home now

I have had very little interaction with Ukrainians because very few speak English (or American... see post below).

What little interaction I've had makes me wonder... On the first full day we met a guy who works for the government who believes that 9-11 was done by the American secret service, Zbigniew Brzezinzki is the mastermind of American foreign policy and that Obama wants to give illegal aliens healthcare. After that meeting Ann asked, "Who's Brzezinski?" I replied, "Carter's national security advisor... he's had no power for 29 years."

*****
I read a magazine that recounted the space race and how Russia won the first several rounds with the first satellite, first animal in space, first man in space, and first pictures of the dark side of the moon. It went to say "Americans (allegedly) were the first to land a man on the moon but it may have been Hollywood."

*****
We picked up a KievToday where an editorial said, "Bush favored missile defense for Poland and Czech Republic* but Obama has canceled that. That means that Obama is willing to sacrifice Eastern Europe for better relations with Russia." No, it means Obama is sane.

* The Polish and Czech systems were ostensibly to protect them from Iran's missiles, but in reality it was to piss off the Russians.

*****
Today we passed a a stand with nested dolls. There was an Obama, inside that a smaller G.W. Bush, inside that a smaller Clinton, inside that a smaller Papa Bush, inside that a tiny Reagan. I found it interesting. The guy proceeded to tell me that he's selling it as a pair with the Russian Putin, Yeltsin and Gorbachev nested doll.

I gave him a puzzled look. He said, "Because Bush was not friends with Putin but Obama is friends with Putin." I gave him a "what the hell are you saying" look and he said, "That is my opinion."

I said "No" firmly and walked away.

3 comments:

  1. Careful what you wish for Karey - You haven't seen this place in a while! j/k - it's not that bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have bought them if I had read this before I left! Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My m-i-l collects nesting dolls. I can't believe I didn't ask you to pick me up one! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete