Monday, September 21, 2009

Ukraine update - Lviv edition

We took an overnight train from Kiev to Lviv. The train was remarkably nice and remarkably cheap: Less than $20 for a cross country trip with a private sleeper car. Considering our apartment stays are more expensive we could save money and ride the train every night!

Or not. While it was relatively quiet it wasn't a great night's sleep.

We've continued to walk and walk and walk. We did this in Nepal but at the end of each day we could get a 90 minute massage for $15. We've yet to find anything similar here.

This country is not tourism friendly. Simple things like a picture of an airplane to indicate "airport" are nowhere to be found. Unlike Nepal, we look like the locals so people are constantly saying things to us. Yesterday I said to one, "I'm sorry, I don't speak English." Ann corrected me, "No, Steven, that is the language you speak..."

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness you have Ann to keep you in line. You'll talk yourself into jail or trouble w/o sssistance from Ann. Keep up the good works gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you feel safe in trains. I have no reason to suspect you wouldn't... I'm just thinking of the freaky movies where the bad guys always find you on those trains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On our trip here Ann and I had a compartment to ourselves. The door locked and even had an alarm on it if anyone tried to get it.

    On the trip back we have to share our compartment with two others. I *hope* it goes well.

    ReplyDelete