Monday, September 22, 2008

Times article

Today's NY Times has an interesting article on life in Dubai.  It's worth a read if you have time.  As you read it remember, I live in Al Ain.  The "rules" here are much more conservative. 

Link to the story: Generation Faithful

***********

Unrelated:  Today was supposed to be the big day.  Do I get the great villa or not?  The decision was put off a day.  I know I realistically have a 10% chance, but it's hard not to get excited.  This place is sweet.

I did get my car.  I have come to appreciate bureaucracy in the United States.  Relatively routine activities (like getting your car registered) take on a life of their own here.  I have colleagues with spouses that are on the verge of becoming "illegal" because they can't get the visa approved... and they've been working on it since we arrived in the middle of August.

Somehow, the DMV station in Marion doesn't seem as bad anymore.

1 comment: