Monday, September 15, 2008

14 down, 14 to go!


I have never appreciated a full moon more than tonight. It means Ramadan is half over. Two weeks of sneaking into the men's room to take a sip of water... shoving an entire banana down my throat at mid-day to recoup some blood sugar...

The heat saps energy quickly. To be thirsty, hungry and tired is not fun. I am very sympathetic to my students who are attempting to go all day in this weather without any food or water.

I don't believe in fasting. There's nothing medical I've read that shows that it "cleanses the body". (A common belief here.) I will be happy when I can return to caffeine and sugar throughout the day!

2 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous picture! WOW

    Are you just respecting Ramadan, or is it assumed you will behave like a native? I can't imagine most people in the US being so respectful or unaware. I know Mo (from soccer) never made us feel disrespectful or that he was uncomfortable. There was just an article in the Gazette (well, maybe not 'just' since I am about 10-12 days behind in my reading) about Muslim kids in the high schools here, and how they used to ask for a private place to pray at noon but don't so much anymore. They just find a quiet place on their own (a classroom, the library, etc.). I don't know if it is that they don't want to call attention to themselves as Muslims, or if it just isn't that big a deal anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody here eats or drinks in public. I am following that rule. I am not fasting.

    ReplyDelete