Monday, August 30, 2010

The value of the IPhone

On October 27, 2009, I spent $717 to buy a phone. That's outrageous by any measure. I came to love it.
Really love it. I became dismayed as my battery became so bad I had to charge it twice each day. About a month ago it started acting up: Shutting off, ringer not working, and audio not working. A $717 phone that can't actually place calls? Yeah, that blows.

Two weeks ago my phone bricked. ("Bricked" is a term that means your smartphone won't even turn on. In other words, it has the value of a brick.)

This morning I had time to kill at the Mall of America so I decided to visit the Apple store. I was told it would be an hour before I could see someone and led to believe I should be really happy it would take only an hour. I was put on a list for the "Genius bar." <-- Not making that up. That's the name they have for their tech-oriented customer service reps.

After getting some coffee and proceeding to wait I counted 25 customer service representatives in this store. This place was no more than 2500 square feet. I have never seen as many CSR's per square foot in any store. Half of them were just standing around.

As the time ticked by my frustration grew; really? None of these guys leaning against the counters can help me?

Eventually, my name was called. After I explained my problem my CSR checked the serial number and saw I bought it ten months ago. He swapped it for a new one.

WOW. I can guarantee this would not have happened in the UAE. I had not even asked for a new one!

******
When my phone bricked I thought a lot about life. $717 spread over less than 10 months meant that it cost me more than $2.50/day. "That's ridiculous," I thought, but then I had to admit I'd be buying a new one when I got back to the Emirates. I was debating whether I could wait until the IPhone 4 came out there and had to admit I probably couldn't wait.

Addiction is addiction. I'm a smartphone fanboi and even though I've only had one for a year less than 10 months I can't imagine life without one.

******
Even before getting the new IPhone, I had had a fantastic weekend seeing friends in Des Moines and the Twin Cities. I was going to wait until tomorrow to post about the weekend but I wouldn't want to alienate my adoring fan (singular fan, that is) base.

No comments:

Post a Comment