Thursday, August 5, 2010

Tomboy no more

Bill Spellman was my mentor and close friend. This week I had lunch with his widow, Donna. We discussed many things including how amazed he'd be that his granddaughter (of whom they had custody) became a model. Why? As a child she was a complete tomboy.

My favorite story is when Dakota was in first grade. Doc was dropping her off at school and she was carrying a rubber kickball. A boy said to her, "I think I'm gonna take that from you."

Without missing a beat Dakota replied, "I think I'm gonna kick your ass."

Doc had to explain to her why she shouldn't say things like that... but in telling the story it was was clear: He couldn't have been more proud.

Fifteen years have passed and here's the tomboy who was gonna kick a bully's ass:

Dakota won the title of Miss Teen Iowa a few years ago and is now competing for Miss Iowa.
You can read Dakota's blog here.

1 comment:

  1. Wowzer...I haven't seen Dakota since before she graduated from h.s. I think Doc would be following her around with a shotgun as protection!!! What a knockout! When is the Miss Iowa contest being held?

    ReplyDelete