Thursday, August 26, 2010

Why it is worth paying for an American Optometrist

I've had the same optometrist for over a decade. I haven't seen in her in three years since I've been living in the Emirates. When I complained to my eye doctor in the UAE that I had trouble reading close up he prescribed stronger lenses.

Background: I have worn -6.0 lenses for twenty years. (That's really bad eye sight.) My guy in the Emirates gave me glasses he said were -6.0 and reading glasses of +1.75. Using either gave me a headache... I can't read close-up. Grading tests is never fun but having to have a spotlight on them just to read them? Well, it blows.

Today I learned that the glasses I have from the Emirates are not -6.0 but -6.75. Meanwhile, I'm one of the 30% of those over 40 for whom the near sightedness actually improves. I'm not a -6.0 anymore, I'm a -5.5. So wearing my -6.75 glasses will naturally give me a headache.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE...

My big lesson today was on bifocals. I assumed bifocals were basically extra strength. So if I need -6.0 lenses normally, then for close up it would be -7.0. Nope, it doesn't work that way. Bifocals (or reading glasses) are positive numbers doing the reverse.

If you're still following me: I am now a -5.5. I learned today that I need mild bifocals of +1. That would mean a glasses prescription of -5.5 on top and +1 on bottom. Instead, my glasses 6.75 top and bottom... way over correcting. No wonder I had no chance of reading up close!

Since I'm pretty sure I've lost everyone let me summarize with this: I'm currently wearing 5.5 and they feel great. I can see long distance fine and up close is better than it's been in two years. I don't need bifocals! (yet)

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment