Monday, August 16, 2010

It is what it is

In the past two weeks I've had two friends hurt me. One said my blog was offensive and another left me fearing he was dead. I don't think either intended to hurt me - the "offensive" comment came after many beers and the other didn't realize that I'm a bit sensitive about depressed/suicidal friends I can't reach.

As a single guy who came to peace with being single a long, long time ago, I know that I rely on my friends more than normal people (i.e. the 99% of the population in a relationship or seeking one). And I'm extremely lucky: I have many, many friends... great people from all walks of life.

Regardless, events in the past two weeks sapped all of the life out of me. I became depressed and depressed blogging simply doesn't work.

Tonight a friend was relating about a recent romantic relationship. He had hoped for more but maybe it wasn't meant to be. One of his friends suggested he adopt the attitude of "it is what it is." So my friend may not get the long term relationship he wanted, but he had fun and who knows what will happen in the future. I need to adopt the same attitude.

I'm a lucky guy: I know hundreds of people and keep in contact with dozens. There's no reason I should let this get to me the way I have. I'm not offering any excuses, I'm simply explaining why the blog pretty much went dark.

2 comments:

  1. Fuck it. You blog is good. And other than spilling bloody mary's on your couch, (and all over me) it is my second favorite thing to do (read).

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - it is what it is... BTW, I've missed your posts. - Cristy

    ReplyDelete