Saturday, July 10, 2010

Mississippi River

I have lived in Iowa for 40 years - and in Dubuque for 2 of those years. Yet somehow I had never made it out on the river.

Wow.

This is what I missed:
This is a sight I think I'd always appreciate but living most of the year in desert makes this green landscape and water a bit more heart warming.

My friend Shawn captained the boat...

...his wife Missy is on the right and her friend Laurel joined us.

After docking the boat on an island Shawn and I decided to walk upstream and float downriver.

The river is running fast given all the rain. What should have been a leisurely 15 minute ride only lasted 5.

While sitting on the beach I started to build a mound of sand. Shawn added the tower later.

Even after adding lotion everywhere I could think of I'm pretty sure I'm going to feel parts of my body tomorrow that I couldn't think of.

I think I've mentioned before that I know a woman spending the summer at a beach house in Portugal. Her plan is to stay within 6 blocks of the house she rented. I couldn't do it for 3 months but after today on the river I could see doing this life for a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment