Saturday, July 3, 2010

Channeling my inner-economist

I'm trying to make life better for the guys living in my house and part of that requires me to clear off a bookcase. It is full of VHS movies and CD's. While it is a small library compared with friends from my era, it still represents a huge outlay of cash over the years. Since I spent that much money on all these you can't just get rid of them, right?

The economist's answer is "Yes, we can."

The videos and CD's are a sunk cost. There's nothing I can do about how much I spent for them. The question is how much utility (benefit) they bring me now. The answer for that is zero. I can download any movie/song I want and I don't even know where I have a VHS player tucked away.

I'll take them to Goodwill next week (assuming they won't reject them). If anyone wants them before that let me know.

3 comments:

  1. You might try Half-Price Books - they may actually give you a little money for those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change is very slow for me, especially electronically, but I can't believe that all the VCRs in the world have totally vanished. I would think that there would still be someone interested in the tapes if you took them to Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a dvd/vcr combo that I got very inexpensively at Best Buy (yes, I know 'very inexpensively' and 'Best Buy' don't belong in the same sentence); hence, my extensive vcr library is safe. If I can find another one as a backup, I intend to buy it.

    ReplyDelete