Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Is it aging or living in the middle east?

Since moving to the UAE my near vision has gone pathetically downhill. I could blame the middle east or accept the reality I turned 40 and it's the first sign of aging that really sucks.

Tonight I found myself wondering if it is aging or culture that has turned me into a prude. What I do know is that what happened tonight wouldn't have bothered me a few years ago.

Picture this: An early 30's recent divorcée grinding on two of my friends and me. To preemptively defend my married friends they were polite but didn't lead her on. And to her credit she wasn't really making any play for me but did feel the need to wrap her legs around one of mine and hump me while I was trying to make an easy shot on the 8 ball to win a game. Fortunately, this gave me an excuse to miss the shot I probably would have missed anyway.

Countless times in my life have I been with friends where such an opportunity arose and they'd duck off for a quicky in the bathroom, car, spare bedroom or even the roof of my apartment. I've never given it much thought. Tonight - even though nothing happened - seeing her throw herself at these guys bothered me and I'm not sure why.

3 comments:

  1. You're not used to being around Americans in the US any more. Remind me to wear my burka the next time we go out.

    I'd be more interested in knowing how your friends at the ID would characterize the night (and if the woman in question is still speaking to you after this post).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?

    When a dog humps my leg in public I politely push the dog away. When a stranger does it in a bar I should say, "Oh, that's America! We do that here!"

    You're right; I'm not used to being around Americans in the US any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, get your eyes checked before they get any worse. I realize that is practical and makes sense, which is against your principles, but do it anyway.

    Second, yes you are a prude. The 2 other guys brushed her off. Why didn't you? As we have always been told, if you don't take action you can't complain - or judge.

    ReplyDelete