Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tales of cheating - Part II

Imagine a student scoring 40% on a quiz, 40% on the final yet was only one of two to score a perfect 100 on another quiz.  Hmm, hard to believe, isn't it?

The good news is that the guy was only rewarded with a D+.  That disqualifies him from majoring in the college of business.

The bad news is that the quiz he cheated on was one where I had thought I had security down:  Online, random multiple choice questions and they were no allowed to go back once a question was answered.  I've double checked everything I know and I can't figure out how he did it.  I'm meeting with an expert of the online tests next week to get his opinion.

That's assuming I don't go anywhere.  

2 comments:

  1. Did he take the test? For the LSAT and the MPRE we had to bring three different forms of identification. Apparently people used to make cash money just taking it over and over again. (LSAT, and bar that is, MPRE was a joke.)

    Maybe he saw how bad his score was going to be and paid some money to make sure he could get a major in your department.

    Or, maybe he studied and you are just a great teacher...

    ~Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered that, too. With 200 students I don't know them all by sight, particularly by that time of the semester. He'd of had to send in quite a ringer to score 100/100. Out of 160 that took that quiz only one other person scored 100... and he was in the same class. It's too long to explain but there is quite literally no way the real smart guy helped the not-so smart guy. I'd be happier if he had.

    So I suspect that he found a way to cheat electronically and that bothers the hell out of me.

    ReplyDelete