Friday, January 21, 2011

History lesson: Plan to take Canada?

I took a break from grading finals to join Canadian friends for dinner.  Here is a post-dinner conversation.

Canadian #1:  It's your fault we have the French.
Me:  Huh?
Canadian #1:  We were about to kick them out in the 1800's but we needed their numbers to keep the Americans out.
Me:  Really?  In our history books I don't recall us ever planning to invade Canada.
Canadian #2:  Hello?  Manifest destiny.
Me:  OK, I know we used manifest destiny to take the southwest from Mexico but I've never heard of a plan to take anything from Canada.
Canadian #2:  After we burned down your White House in 1812, we were pretty sure you were going to invade us.
Me:  Umm, wasn't it the British that burned down the White House?
Canadian #1:  Canada was Britain back then.  It was Canadians that burned down the White House.
Canadian #2:  But if you guys believe it was the British that's great!  Blame them!

BTW, the French slight was a little tongue-in-cheek; my hosts have part French blood. 

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, the French! We're more interested in Love.......not War! BTW, Steve, I just read the posts about your teaching method and I want you to know I'm very proud of you for sticking to your 'guns' and not allowing your students to undermine the 'system' anymore than they already do! If more teacher were like you there would be far less cheating and much more learning! My brother would have been proud of you too! He was a teacher of sciences and then French (oh no! Not FRENCH! LOL), and from what I'm learning of you, the two of you would have had much to talk about! Keep up the good work and know you're making a difference! (Michelle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the victors go the spoils and history is written by the victorious.
    The Canadians love to cry about "ill written History" because they are pussies and never won a battle.

    Karey

    ReplyDelete