Thursday, January 13, 2011

Not quite the relief I was looking for

I thought, "It's been a stressful week.  I haven't had a massage in this country since May.... A good massage would do wonders..."

I went to my old place (it's part of a country club).  I didn't see any of the people I used to see.  What I did see was a Chinese guy who spoke no English, I used a brochure on the counter to explain the massage I wanted he gave me an absolutely blank stare.

A minute later an Arab walked in, put the equivelant of $150 on the table and walked into a room with a delightfully dressed woman.  (The highest price service on the official menu is $50.)

The guy behind the counter asked me to wait and someone would be ready for me in five minutes.  While waiting I asked about the people I used to know.  As I said their names he continued with the blank stare.  It was clearly a whole new crew.

He asked, "Full service?"  (The only two words of English he spoke in the entire exchange.)  A bit puzzled I pointed to "Swedish massage" on the brochure and again got the blank stare.

A few minutes later a woman with plenty of makeup emerged with an Arab.  My counter guy went over to conference with her and it was clear they had no idea they even had a brochure or what was on it.

It would have been mildly intriguing to find out what comes next.  At the very least I'm sure I'd have heard some interesting things through the paper thin walls.

Instead I pointed at the time and explained that I had to go... Although I could have said, "baking cookies, swamp rat, tobaggon ride" and they would have understood nothing more.

1 comment:

  1. Bet that turned your depression into a good joke, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete